On March 1st 1935, Maurice Markovitz bought the present Commercial Road premises from Tideswell and Miller's Dale Coal and General Merchants Company Ltd for £1,200, meaning that he was then able to branch out into supplying building materials.
Maurice never married. His nephew Brian joined him at Commercial Road in 1953, further developing the business. In 1995 Brian relocated to larger premises on Richard Lane in Tideswell and the Commercial Road premises were converted into 'The Courtyard'; a luxury kitchen, bedroom and bathroom showroom.
Since then, Brian's two sons David and Robert have taken over the business and further developed it to now include a kitchen and bathroom showroom in Chesterfield and ten more depots offering a range of builders' and plumbers' merchants, civils' services as well as a specialist insulation and drylining division.
From humble beginnings, the company now employs around 300 people and prides itself in remaining a family-run business, which we are sure Maurice would be proud of.
The Markovitz family of companies encompasses nineteen depots, two luxury kitchen and bathroom showrooms, a specialist stove & cooker showroom at our Leek branch and a
stove showroom at our Buxton depot.
We also have our very own restaurant and boutique hotel, two AA-Rosette awarded 'The Merchant's Yard' in Tideswell.
For more information on each of these please click below.